Re: Anti-spambot hacks?

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 08:29:41 -0800

 kent_at_landfield.com (Kent Landfield) writes:
>While the intent is reasonable, it does little to solve the problem and makes
>the archive much harder to deal with since no address is respondable. That
>sort of defeats the purpose of posting new messages from the archive options
>and responding directly to posts from within the archive. Both are used
>constantly here and on the numerous lists I manage.

 I agree. There is a widespread tendency to assume that if a reasonable person puts effort into fighting problems, that the result will be valuable. Unfortunately, when success is as hard to measure as it is in this case, rewarding effort is counterproductive. We sould insist on some evidence that changes produce results.

Peter McCluskey | Boycott Amazon.com until they stop suing http://www.rahul.net/pcm | companies that support 1-click shopping. Received on Mon 08 Nov 1999 06:32:02 PM GMT