Re: Should we leave this automatic handling of signatures and HTML?

From: <jose.kahan_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 11:09:29 +0100 (MET)

In our previous episode, Peter C. McCluskey said:

> The autodetection of signatures works a lot of the time, and
> occasionally adding <PRE>'s where they don't belong does much
> less harm than avoiding them where they are needed, so I strongly
> object to removing this.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there any RFC defining this "--\n" signature separation convention? I scanned some 20 recent messages in my mailbox, all coming from different sources, and none of them uses the "--\n" convention.

When you add <PRE> to an HTML document, the result is that you may find some extra line separating the start and end of the <PRE> data from the preceding text. This is browser dependent.

What I propose to do is to add a new setup option so that you can say if you whether you want this automatic sig detection.

> I don't know whether html autodetection is desirable.

If there's no other reaction, I propose to supress that part of the code.

Regards,

-Jose Received on Wed 03 Nov 1999 12:12:37 PM GMT