Re: Should we leave this automatic handling of signatures and HTML?

From: Peter C. McCluskey <>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:44:29 -0800
>text/signature MIME type... and text/plain will continue being
>parsed into HTML. However, there's no standard either that says that
>signatures will always begin with a "--" line either. By using this rule
>in hypermail, we're assuming a de-facto standard which isn't really true :)
>So, that's why I propose to remove this part of the code.

 The autodetection of signatures works a lot of the time, and occasionally adding <PRE>'s where they don't belong does much less harm than avoiding them where they are needed, so I strongly object to removing this.
 I don't know whether html autodetection is desirable.

Peter McCluskey          | Boycott until they stop suing | companies that support 1-click shopping.