RE: Y2K - date parsing

From: Tom von Alten <Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:39:01 -0600

Byron Darrah wrote:
> One thing that class has, which might be a nice thing to put into the
> hypermail beta (?), is the way that it computes the century if given a
> two-digit year: It chooses whichever century will result in placing the
> date within fifty years of the current time. That helps insure against
> fast or slow clocks and a few other things.

I like that approach. I've had the notion for something like +/- 50 y from the century (or millennium, as the case may be :), but never got comfortable with a fixed limit. +/-50y from the *current* date seems like a generally reasonable approach.

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com Received on Mon 12 Oct 1998 07:25:50 PM GMT