RE: Date routines in hypermail

From: Tom von Alten <Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:50:24 -0600

Interesting bugs found, Kent, and I'm glad you were willing to tackle the date issues.

Kent Landfield wrote:
> Hypermail did not deal with all the major date string representations.
> "Date:" formats starting with a digit (09 Sep 1998 01:27:30 +0300)
> would cause parsing and threading problems. It now supports that format.

The 1.x version merely passed on the contents of the "Date: " RFC822 header, and used the date that it parsed out of the "From " line for its internal date sorting. (Which might lead to confusion, btw, in a date index: the dates shown in the body of messages are not necessarily in order.)

Have you changed that so that now the "sent date" is used for sorting, rather than the received date?

Whatever approach is taken, I'd recommend that the particular formats that are recognized be identified in associated comments, and that non-compliant strings be gracefully trapped.

Thanks,
_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com Received on Mon 12 Oct 1998 06:30:07 PM GMT