Re: Proposal: adding CSS to hypermail

From: Bjarni R. Einarsson <bre_at_netverjar.is_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 09:40:06 +0000

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 02:26:42AM +0100, jose.kahan_at_w3.org wrote:
> What I propose is that we use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) [1] to do these
> style chages. CSS are used together with HTML documents. Where HTML gives the
> organization and semantics of the document and CSS gives the presentation
> style of the document.

I was about to propose/request this myself, for a project I am working on where I will want more control over the look and feel of my archives than is currently available (w/o hacking the source that is).

> There are many things we could do with CSS, as we can define classes and
> say precisely where we want to apply them, using DIV and SPAN HTML 4.0
> tags.

This would be wonderful. Dividing the hypermail output into content related areas using DIV, each area using a different class would be perfect... Same for things like the From:, To: etc. lines. The more control you can give the webmaster this way, the better.

 bre_at_netverjar.is           -><-           http://www.mmedia.is/~bre/

             Sinister Dexter Has A Broken Spirometer.