Re: Internal question

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:55:31 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > # What protects the "filename" buffer from being overrun?
> >
> > Good question. I'll look into it tomorrow and see if msprintf can
> > be used instead.
>
> Actually I think that sprintf might already be a macro for msprintf(),

It is, but of course we should instead use a function that writes no more than the output buffer size. Such as the msnprintf().

> > Some of this is also up to Daniel as
> > he was the one that put MPL on his submitted code. For that matter
> > I'm not too happy with GPL but that was inherited from HP.
>
> I am all in favour of the GPL. Really. As far as I know the MPL (at
> least the new version) might allow that code is included in other
> projects.

Really, if you aren't more familiar with the licenses than this, how can you have an opinion against a particular one?

If we would have this discussion, I think we should just try to put pros and cons with a bunch of licenses side by side and then have some kind of vote among the code submitters (where each submitter of course can veto against having their source code licensed to something they don't agree with). In my eyes there are only 3-4 licenses to discuss: GPL, LGPL, MPL and BSD. This question is one of those religious ones and I don't like talking religion.

> Read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/netscape-npl.html
> (carefully, they also talk about the NPL and I am not sure if they
> considered the MPL 1.1 for this text.)

MPL is not NPL. NPL leaves special rights for Netscape to do peculiar things. MPL doesn't.

--
  Daniel Stenberg -- member of the Hypermail Development Crew