Re: strange problem (bug?) with set_inline_types

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 15:25:07 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999 jose.kahan_at_w3.org wrote:

> As both set_inline_types and set_prefered types are intialized to NULL,
> this lines looks suspicious:
>
> *(struct hmlist **)cfg[i].value = NULL;
>
> As it looks like if we're trying to assing something to an unallocated
> memory zone.
>
> I'll try changing it to:
> (struct hmlist **)cfg[i].value = NULL;
>
> Is anyone more familiar with this code? Your expertise may save me debugging
> time :)

The 'value' field of the Config struct is defined in setup.h as:

      void *value; /* pointer to the real storage */

In the case for, let's say prefered_types, the value is set to point to the variable 'set_prefered_types' (around line 245 or so in setup.c).

When the contents of the value field is set to NULL, it is the variable that value points to that is set to point to NULL, in our example the 'set_prefered_types' variable is.

> In all cases, it looks like a real bug.

I agree it clearly looks like a bug, I'm not convinced it is at that particular place it gets wrong though.

--
 Daniel Stenberg -- http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/
 You'll find my hypermail pages at http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/hypermail