Re: Should we leave this automatic handling of signatures and HTML?

From: Martin Schulze <joey_at_finlandia.Infodrom.North.DE_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:26:00 +0100

jose.kahan_at_w3.org wrote:
> In our previous episode, Martin Schulze said:
> >
> > > Maybe I'm missing something. Is there any RFC defining this "--\n"
> > > signature separation convention? I scanned some 20 recent messages in
> > > my mailbox, all coming from different sources, and none of them uses
> > > the "--\n" convention.
> >
> > What do they use instead?
> >

> Anything!
>
> mutt, exmh, and emacs seem to use "--\n".

Wrong, Mutt uses "-- \n".

> I can guarantee you that if you look at your message box, you can verify
> what I'm saying. I didn't look at 20 messages that satisfied my rule,
> but the first 20 messages in my mailbox.

Well, since I use mutt, and it is configured to display signatures in a different colour, and the pattern is "^-- $" it gets it right most of the time, but i'll keep an eye on that.

> - Is it an RFC convention or not to separate signatures with "--\n" (
> or "---\n", etc).

Already posted, would have been an interesting search otherwise...

Regards,

        Joey

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!