Re: Time-based archive subdivision

From: Paul Haldane <Paul.Haldane_at_newcastle.ac.uk_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:24:02 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Kent Landfield wrote:

> # I know this has been discussed from time to time, and I know that many of
> # the list members have this in their implementations. But I think that the
> # current distribution doesn't have a direct provision (or even
> # instructions?) as to how to accomplish it.
> #
> # What I'm talking about is having a discussion archive split up on month,
> # year, or some other time boundaries, ideally with any cross-referenced
> # hyperlinks preserved.

That last part is the interesting one. Splitting up archives into months can't be hard [Here, our list software automatically archives messages into monthly chunks and then we generate the hypermail archives each night - not ideal but works for us - did it this way for performance reasons lost in the mists of time and never got round to changing]

Preserving links across months is harder (I think) - the real solution (and I'd say this was something to work towards in the longer term) would be to have a single virtual archive that we can create yearly, monthly, weekly views of - possibly all at once - which is most convenient will depend on the traffic on the list and the speed of the reader's network connection - looking at _long_ index pages can be painful on a slow dialup connection.

Paul Received on Fri 22 Oct 1999 10:24:42 AM GMT