RE: Hypermail runs with cygwin on Win9x!

From: Xual <xual_at_danathara.dhs.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 17:46:49 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Crispen, Bob wrote:

> Xual[SMTP:xual_at_danathara.dhs.org] sez:
>
> > > * If you don't have WinZip, you'll need to copy the tarball
> > > to a Unix machine on which you have a shell account, extract
> > > the files, and copy them all back to your Windows machine.
> >
> > Only one comment, as I gave up on cygwin around b19 and moved to linux...
> > tar and gzip are both included in the shell install, so:
> >
> > tar zxvf hypermail-2b25.tar.gz
> >
> > will work fine within the bash shell.
> >
> Yes it will, and that's terrific for the second time
> you install cygwin. It's not so hot for installing
> cygwin the first time.

Actually, the section I commented on was "Extracting Hypermail", which followed the installation and testing of cygwin and gcc. The next step was ./configure, which also requires a bash shell. I think it's safe to assume that if the compiler and autoconf are functioning, tar and gzip will too. The only reason I mention this is that I don't know any windows users who have access to a *nix account and wouldn't just skip the hassle and run hypermail there instead.

--

"Misery is boundless"
	-Xual the Torturer, on the Eve of the Sundering.

Danathara Online RPG
telnet://danathara.dhs.org:4000