Re: threading is a risky business

From: John Finlay <finlay_at_moeraki.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:41:04 -0700

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, John Finlay wrote:
>
> > It's not perfect since it's possible to have an unresolved msgid in the
> > replyto field of 1 that would create threading like:
>
> I don't follow you here.

I was extending your example to add an unresolved msgid in message 2 but I typed 1 instead. The point being that when 1 is encountered it creates a dummy message based on subject and when 2 is encountered it will not match the previous dummy message but will create a new dummy message based on the msgid in the replyto.

> > dummy message
> > |
> > +-1
> > |
> > dummy message
> > |
> > +-2
> > |
> > +-0
> >
> > This result has the potential to have possibly related messages
> > separated while printing.
>
> If message 1 and 2 had different and non-existing replyto-ids, then how can
> we possibly know that they are replies to the same mail? Of course, based on
> the subjects, we could probably identify this too, but then we're getting
> quite advanced and I'm not so sure that is the right thing to do.

Your analysis is correct and I agree with your conclusion. I was just being too pedantic in pointing out the cases that couldn't be resolved.

John Received on Fri 15 Oct 1999 06:41:31 PM GMT