Re: regarding source (re-)indenting

From: Kent Landfield <kent_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:42:39 -0500 (CDT)

# - My source lines are now >80 columns wide which is terrible. I believe this

# is because the indent tab size is different from 8. I don't think using
# other tab sizes than 8 is good practise.

That is why the .indent.pro files were placed in the baseline. I said they needed to be tweaked so don't hesitate to do so. The biggest problem that I have encountered in trying to quickly see a problem in larger functions has been trying to follow the source with the multiple indenting styles. We had no consistency and it made it difficult to follow code blocks.

Consistency is needed for a released baseline.

I think the indent was 4 in the .indent.pro files.

# - Indent levels may be too religious to discuss, but all of a sudden we are

# back in a style I find hard to work with and it makes me less productive.
# The first reaction that comes into my mind now when traversing the lines of
# parse.c is to re-indent them once again so that I can read them...

Then do so, the indent.pro files are there. As long as it is consistent through out the source files, I don't care if it's two, four, eight, ...

# - Indenting the sources at this point is not really what we needed. All of a

# sudden it is nearly impossible to view cvs-logs to track changes and see
# when or if the last changes have introduced any bugs...

? It was needed as we are in the final stages of releasing 2.0. That was on the list of things I proposed to you a while back, before I posted that same list to the hypermail mailing list. Not sure why a longer line would make it nearly impossible to view.

If it's a big deal then tweak the .indent.pro files as you need and then baseline them so they will always be there. The only religious issue I have with indenting is consistency for ease in reading and debugging.

--
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
Email: kent_at_landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/