Re: [Summary] discussion about attachments

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:44:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999 jose.kahan_at_w3.org wrote:

> Following from last month's discussion about storing MIME attachments in
> a separate directory, I give here a summary of the concerns, give a
> little critic of the present solution, and defend again my alternative
> approach (already tested :-).

I don't think anyone has ever stated that the current version is of any superior kind. The demand has been for a separate directory for the attachments, and that was what I added.

I fully agree with that your solution is a better one. I'm just awaiting your implementation in the main hypermail source tree! :-)

> I have some little extra work to, so that attachnum gets incremented
> even if the maintainer forbids the storing of a specific type of
> attachment. It'll then be possible to allow the new type later on
> without breaking links.

Ah, right. You should always increase the counter for every separate part of the mail.

> Related open question (n.b, I don't remember if we can change
> DIR_PREFIXER thru the options, but the code seems to say no):

No you can't. But that's more because I added it quickly and I wanted feedback on it. In my opinion, as much as possible should be configurable and that part surely should be.

> Should we use DIR_PREFIXER/num or just DIR_PREFIXER-num?
>
> It makes sense to use DIR_PREFIXER/ if we can move the attachment directory
> to another volume and mount it there, without breaking links (should
> be thought in advance). Otherwise, we can save n x months inode and n times
> one char ('/'), by using DIR_PREFIXER-num.
>
> A more customizable option would be to be able to choose the directory
> (none, DIR_PREFIXER, another path), and the -num prefixer (DIR_PREFIXER,
> nothing). Then everyone can configure hypermail as he wants :)

I'd prefer this as an option. Give it a reasonable default, probably the DIR_PREFIXER/ approach, but let users decide for themselves.

--
 Daniel Stenberg -- http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/
 You'll find my hypermail pages at http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast/hypermail