RE: attachment filenames explained and stuff

From: Tom von Alten <tom_vonalten_at_boi.hp.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 16:22:07 -0600

On 22 April, 1999, Craig Summerhill wrote:
> Since then, I have converted tens (perhaps hundreds) of thousands
> of messages in old archives and have yet to experience one instance
> where hypermail had to alter the name to make it unique. I don't
> think I've got a single example of hypermail being forced to add
> a character to create a unique filename...

Happens all the time where I live. For example, I routinely send out an attachment with the same name on a weekly basis, as a shared list of action items gets updated after a teleconference.

It's not a problem with our implementation, because we use a subdirectory tree; attachments to message NNNN.html are put in .attachments/NNNN/

_____________ Hewlett-Packard Computer Peripherals Bristol Tom von Alten mailto:Tom_vonAlten_at_boi.hp.com

          This posting is for informational purposes only.
          It is not a statement of the Hewlett-Packard Co.