Duplicate message ids

From: Paul Haldane <Paul.Haldane_at_newcastle.ac.uk_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 19:59:29 +0100 (GMT)

Any more thoughts on what (if anything) we should do with messages with duplicate message ids?

My inclination is to stick with what we do now - don't try to add the duplicates to the web archive but put out a warning message to that a human can fix things by hand.

The alternative (other than rejigging HM's internal data structures) would be for HM to assign a new message id to the problem message. This would probably be quite easy.

Depends why we're doing it - to keep HM happy because its internal structures can't cope with dup msgids or to protect the server running hypermail against the effects of mail loops which sometimes show up as lots of messages with the same id.

Paul