Re: Header parsing in 2.0a15,a18?

From: Craig A Summerhill <craig_at_cni.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:25:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Steve Wampler <swampler_at_noao.edu> wrote:

> I've got some, uh, rather large email folders that I've
> been trying to convert to html with hypermail.

> What these folders all have in common is that they are
> folders holding copies of *outgoing* mail. I don't think
> I've seen the problem on folders on incoming mail (though
> none of those folders are as big on my system).
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?

I haven't had a core dump problem with any release since 2a15. I did have problems with core dumps on old mailboxes due to header parsing in versions prior to that...

The problems I ran into, most commenly, had to do with two main problems:

   o problematic parsing of information in the "From:" field.

   o messages in the middle of the folder which did not have

      a CRLF at the end of the message.  This caused the next
      message appended to the file to not parse correctly.  This
      was the main source of core dumps for me.

On incoming mail, this isn't a problem because hypermail can be setup to append the new messages to the old archive. However, on old backlog archives, this has been a major problem for me.

I know Daniel is working on these problems... That is what much of the traffic last night was related to.

--

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information