Re: Message index subj/auth/date TABLE support nearly done

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 22:35:26 +0100 (MET)

On 17 Mar 1999 HyperMail_www_at_associate.com wrote:

> One problem...for the life of me, I can't figure out how UPPERCASE
> defines like setup.h:#define USETABLE 0 work. Nowhere else in the code
> is an uppercase value for USETABLE referenced, and yet this works.

'usetable' works in the config file, yes, by USETABLE is not used and it doesn't matter what you define that to at all!

Many of those #defines in the end of setup.h were just moved there from the now removed file options.h, so that A) options.h didn't exist anymore for people to edit their preferences in as the old docs suggests B) if there is any file that would still need any of those defines it would be setup.c.

> When I try a similar tactic for INDEXTABLE, it won't work. I get a lot
> of: print.c: In function `printdates': print.c:264: `indextable'
> undeclared (first use in this function)

Adding a new config file item is very simple. All you need is to enter a new "member" in the cfg[] array in setup.c a perfect example of how to add an "string" item (an item to which you can specify a string with whatever contents) is the 'langusage' config item:

  {"language",      &set_language,   LANGUAGE,   CFG_STRING,
   "# A two-letter string specifying the language to use!\n"
   "# For example 'en' for English\n"},

"language" - is the name of the keyword that must be in the config file. "hm_" prefixes are always understood too.

set_language is a 'char *' to hold the result of this item.

LANGUAGE is the default for this config item,

CFG_STRING defines this to be a "string" item. You can select from integer, switch (on/off), string, list and octal. As defines in setup.h describes.

> Can someone educate me a bit? At this point, defining "indextable"
> hard-coded works, so with a little help, this contribution should be
> wrapped up. If someone would rather just take the code and finish this
> fix, that's fine by me too. (-:

Sure, if that's the only thing you need added I can do it!

--
             Daniel Stenberg - http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast