Re: Project Name Change?

From: Elliot Lee <sopwith_at_redhat.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:36:11 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Byron C. Darrah wrote:

> Well, we don't really have a choice. Who controls the "official" release
> of hypermail? I think that at this point, that is Kent. Unless he
> expressly passes that privilege on to someone else, we should not presume
> to have it.
>
> > There are, without a doubt, many "strains" out
> > there that have been modified and/or improved by different people already.
>
> All too true. But anyone that releases such a modified version to the net
> without clearly marking it as such is simply acting irresponsibly. That
> does not mean that we have to do the same.

Free software projects are "owned" by the people who do the work, not people who used to do the work.

You people are willing to do the work so now YOU are the maintainers. Kent abdicated any virtual privileges he had by disappearing from view for a Very Long Time. Now go forth and make the new hypermail greater than ever... :)