Re: Back on track

From: Gordon H. Buchan <gordon_at_pobox.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:29:25 -0500

        At 09:38 AM 12/18/98 -0600, Kent Landfield wrote:
># > So here is what I plan to do.... I am going to grab a few things out that
># > have been added during my absense. These are low hanging fruit that can
># > be quickly integrated into 2.0b4. I will then release that version.
>#
># I hope you will learn from all this, that we want very frequent releases so
># that others can contribute at almost any one time, starting with the most
># recently released version.

Um. People are going to very diplomatic about this I'm sure, but the issues involved here are very important and should be addressed directly. A source tree should not fork. Kent dropped off the radar for awhile. Daniel, in good faith I'm sure, tried to advance the development by "taking over" maintenance and advance of the source tree. I'm not sure that is the solution people want.

I certainly don't want to hear about competing versions of the source tree on different FTP servers a few weeks from now. Somebody has to be in charge, and it should be Kent. Otherwise, we all suffer. I plan to keep my archives on 20b3 for awhile, but will play with development builds in test environments.

I agree with Ken that the string stuff deserves priority -- any release without that stuff is a step back, not a step forward. I think we all need to take a deep breath and be patient -- trust Kent's judgment as to what can go in and not for the next version.

Remember, open development might mean that nobody's paid, but we all have to remember the rules we practice at our day jobs in Engineering or development environments. Otherwise, the code base is weakened. Part of the reason for Hypermail's success is its minimal stability -- best to do everything with that priority in mind. And that means Kent making the final call on the build, with the rest of us helping, but not arguing.

With the greatest respect for Daniel and Kent and everyone else,

Gordon H. Buchan

Gordon H. Buchan
gordon_at_pobox.com
http://gordon.anadas.com Received on Fri 18 Dec 1998 09:57:05 PM GMT