Back on track

From: Kent Landfield <kent_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 12:14:30 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

        I'm finally getting back up to speed. I have taken a look at some of the good work that has occurred in my absense.

The problems that I have are:

   o The version that was used as the basis (hypermail.981013) was

     not anywhere near the version that I had been working on. That
     had been a version 10 days earlier. There were a good deal of
     date corrections, HTML parsing corrections, memory overwrite
     corrections, etc.

   o There are some issues that need to be discussed a bit before
     we use dynamic strings everywhere in hypermail. There are
     places where string usage is quite constrained and well behaved
     and dynamic string usage is not a win. There are however places
     where is it drastically needed such as in message parsing and
     HTML generation.  Performance and stability are the big considerations
     in all this.

So here is what I plan to do.... I am going to grab a few things out that have been added during my absense. These are low hanging fruit that can be quickly integrated into 2.0b4. I will then release that version. It has had a good deal of work done to it and it should be the basis for going forward. At that point we can look at adding validated html parsing and dynamic string usage.

--
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
Email: kent_at_landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/