Core files

From: Byron C. Darrah <bdarr_at_sse.FU.HAC.COM_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:18:14 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 23:32:42 +0100 (MET)
> From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se>
> cc: hypermail_at_landfield.com
>
> On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Jenni Baier wrote:
>
> > Anyhow... if no one else is concerned with having hypermail generate HTML
> > compliant code I'll just see what I can figure out on my own...
>
> I'd be happy to start sorting that out.
>
> As soon as we have a working version of my series. I've decided to focus on
> debugging my version to a stable level before anything new is added.
>
> Isn't there ANYONE that can get a core that can do a little research
> themselves? Or at least can provide me with several cases of repeatable
> crashes. This is starting to get boring, people saying it crashes but I can't
> repeat it at my place...

Maybe this will help, too.

To people reporting problems:

You can be extra helpful when reporting a crash with core dump, if you try to give Daniel a "stack trace". I'll give you some really simple instructions for producing a stack trace here. If done right, the stack trace can tell Daniel exactly which line of code caused the crash -- an obvious boon, especially if he cannot reproduce the problem at his end.

Okay, here's how to get a stack trace assuming you are using unix. First, you need a debugger such as gdb or dbx. If you don't have that, you can't do it. Next, make sure that hypermail was compiled with the "-g" option to the C compiler. Use the following command in the directory where hypermail was built:

     egrep "^CFLAGS=" Makefile

If the output of this command does not contain a "-g", then you cannot produce a useful stack trace.

When hypermail produces a core dump, run your debugger, gdb or dbx, from the same directory where the "core" file is like this:

     for gdb:   gdb -c core
     for dbx:   dbx <hypermail>
                where <hypermail> is the full path to the hypermail executable.

Now, just type "where". If what you get back doesn't look like an error message, then it is probably a good stack trace. Please include it with your trouble report.

I hope this helps you, Daniel.
--Byron Darrah Received on Tue 08 Dec 1998 01:22:25 AM GMT