Re: BUG: Long Subject: headers

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_sth.frontec.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:28:52 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, J Kinsley wrote:

> I think I might have come across a bug in hypermail-2.0b3. I am
> attempting to build a list archive, and one of the messages in the mbox
> has a Subject: header length of 218 characters including the Subjecr:
> header name. When hypermail gets to that message, it hangs and drives
> the CGP usage up to 98.6%. I have little C experience, so I have been
> unable to solve the problem on my own. Unlike in 1.0.x, the SUBJSTRLEN
> is set to 256 which is greater than the 218 bytes of the subject field.

Even though I haven't heard nor experienced exactly this problem before, we (all of us, but some of the developers even more) are aware of the lack of boundary checks and inability to deal with excessive lengths and sizes in hypermail b3 and earlier. The subject is only one of them. Why have a fixed limit at all?

I think you'll discover a whole range of other buffer overrun releated problem if you start piping in mails with very very long lines of various kinds.

I know Kent has been working a lot on turning a lot of the static buffer uses in b3 into dynamic ones in the forthcoming b4.

--
   Daniel Stenberg    http://www.fts.frontec.se/~dast     0708-317742