Re: how to chunk by date automatically

From: Kent Landfield <kent_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:59:32 -0500 (CDT)

Lori writes:
# >I am working on upgrading our existing Hypermail 1.02 program to the new
# >beta version. Things seems to be going smoothly so far. However, I'm
# >most interested in setting this up to chunk the archives by month -- in
# >other words, to set it up so that every message that comes in during
# >August gets loaded to an August 98 page, and messages in Sept.
# >get loaded to a Sept. 98 page, etc. I know this is possible somehow
# >because you have your Hypermail Development archives set up this way. Is
# >this something that has to be done manually at the start of each month?
# >Is there a way to do this automatically within the program?

Dave writes:
# The separation of messages into months is usually done by the mail list
# software, specifically Majordomo. If your mail list software doesn't
# perform this function for you, you will have to write a filter program
# that will read in the mail archives, split them up by date, and then run
# Hypermail on the split archives.

Take a look at the hypermail/archive directory. It has what you need. The program msg2archive.c is what I use here to do just that with all my archives. I expect that this functionality will find it's way into hypermail in the near future (after 2.0 is official) but until then it will do what you need. I hope the README explains it. If not, you know where I'm at. ;)

--
Kent Landfield                        Phone: 1-817-545-2502
Email: kent_at_landfield.com             http://www.landfield.com/