Re: Getting started

From: Elliot Lee <sopwith_at_redhat.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 00:46:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I'm not sure how pipermail compares to hypermail in detail, but I know
> that Andrew was aware of several hypermail restrictions and coded
> pipermail to avoid these. Andrew, would you care to comment?

To be honest, I haven't tried pipermail specifically, but I have run most of the other mail -> html converters out there, and only hypermail had the speed needed. archive.redhat.com has 4.5M mailbox files that generate 2500 messages, and although even hypermail *starts* to choke on them, nothing else gets close.

Writing it in C gives a few advantages:

I would suggest using 'glib' (a set of utility classes for C, i.e. sane string manipulation, hash tables, tree, linked list, etc.). It would give us much better memory management, among other things, as well as GString - the infinitely-long buffer :)

Perhaps we must rewrite hypermail for sanity, though - existing code has no concept of "buffer overflow" no matter how hard you try ;-)