Re: [patch] <th> around first row elements

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

 Vince.McIntyre_at_atnf.csiro.au (Vincent McIntyre) writes:
>Hi
>
>I don't understand why, in the index pages, the first data element of
>a table data row (the date range) is enclosed in <th></th>. This appears
>to be for visual effect.
>
>To my tiny mind, the date range is "just data" and should not be tagged
>as row-headers. I've attached the smallest patch I could make, against
>-2.2.0. I think it changes the markup to the right thing.
>
>However it is nice to have a visual distinction between the date range
>and the threads. That could be done with CSS and a class tag.
>
>Which leads me to ask -
>
>What would be the right class name to use to enable CSS selection
>of the date range column? Multielement class tags are allowed - eg
>which can be selected by either
> .first { }
>or
> .daterange { }

 I think it's fairly arbitrary whether you classify the dates as headers or data. I assume that having a visual distinction was the only reason for classifying them as headers, and changes which preserve the visual distinction in default configurations seem reasonable.  The class names you propose sound good.  I will wait until you submit a change that adds the class tags before doing anything with the patch you've submitted.

Peter McCluskey         | Everyone complains about the laws of physics, but no
www.bayesianinvestor.com| one does anything about them. - from Schild's Ladder