Re: filename problem

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:10:04 -0800 (PST)

 grp_at_med.uoc.gr (G G Papazoglou) writes:
>I had a second thought on the whole thing. It seems to me that a
>different approach is needed, because I realised that greek filenames
>can not be DIRECTLY referenced from a URL (ie. something like
>http://myserver.com/this_supposed_to_be_greek_characters.doc) (I suppose
>it's the same for other languages with non-latin alphabet). The
>underscore approach seems to work, provided that, if there is more than
>one attachments, they have different filename lengths (it's obvious
>why). So in my opinion, it would be nice if you would give us the option
>to rename all the attachments sent in a message to something like
>"attachmentXXX.###" (preserving the original extension, but using a
>fixed latin string (plus the number i for the i-th attachment) instead
>of underscores. In this way, the filename length issue is avoided, and
>the result is obviously much more appealing than the underscore approach.

 An option that works like that sounds good for sites where the filenames use primarily non-latin characters.
 It sounds like there will still be a problem of filename clashes on site that don't use this option but get filenames with nonstandard characters. I think we ought to change the default behavior to use the standard url encoding (i.e. %7E for ~) for most characters that are currently being converted to underscores (maybe still convert spaces to underscores as that is more readable?).

Peter McCluskey          | Please check out my new blog:
www.bayesianinvestor.com | http://www.bayesianinvestor.com/blog/