Re: Deletelist bug in Hypermail 2.1.9

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:11:51 -0800 (PST)

 naudefj_at_telkomsa.net (Frank Naude) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I just discovered why hypermail is getting so slow when archiving new
>messages (1000+ messages) as the archive grows:
>
>In hypermail.c:
>
> if (deletedlist)
> update_deletions(amount_old);
>
>It seems that "deletelist" is never initialised!!!
>
>To solve the problem (temp fix) I've changed the above code to:
>
> if (deletedlist && set_delete_level != DELETE_LEAVES_TEXT)
> update_deletions(amount_old);

 This fix doesn't look like it solves anything related to problems with deletedlist being initialised.
 It does appear that update_deletions is wasteful when set_delete_level == DELETE_LEAVES_TEXT. But I suspect the main problem is that update_deletions rewrites "deleted" files each time hypermail runs, when it could keep track of whether it has rewritten them and only rewrite newly deleted ones. I'm not sure whether I will be able to find a good way of doing that.

Peter McCluskey          | I see no greater impediment to scientific progress
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | than the prevailing practice of focusing all of