Re: [hypermail] pre-2.1.9 and gmtime

From: Bill Moseley <moseley_at_hank.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:03:18 -0800

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 10:38:58AM -0800, Peter C. McCluskey wrote:
> >Any suggestion on where to look for the problem?
>
> No, and I don't have access to a Solaris machine to test this.

That solaris machine has wasted many hours of my time over the years.

What about this?

  $ fgrep '%z' *.c
  print.c: char *timezone_dateformat = "GMT%z";

strftime(3C) on Solaris 2.6 or Solaris 5.8 does not have %z

If you can give me some pointers on the code maybe I can try and figure out where to look for the gmtime problem.

Peter, can I make a suggestion? Move the build system to automake. I moved the swish-e (another Kevin project) to automake and it was well worth it -- swish-e builds much better on odd platforms. It was a lot easier than I thought to move and now it's really easy to maintain. I'm no automake expert, and I don't know your build system, but I'd be happy to help, if needed.

On solaris I have to compile hypermail like:

  $ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local --with-gdbm=$HOME/local   $ setenv LD_RUN_PATH $HOME/local/lib
  (edit src/Makefile to add -R and -L paths)   $ make

With current autoconf and automake I think just specifying the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS at configure time fixes all of that.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley_at_hank.org