Re: [hypermail] Incremental updates (was: Problems with 2.1.8)

From: Peter C.McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:54:09 -0800 (PST)

 moseley_at_hank.org (Bill Moseley) writes:
>And increment = 1 is the same as -u on the command line, correct?

 Yes.

>In other words, if you feed hypermail a bunch of messages it normally
>doesn't process messages it already has seen and just works on new
>messages in the input stream. The -x option says to treat every message
>as new -- rewriting existing \d+.html files.

 Sort of, but it does most of the processing the same in either case, and it's only when it goes to write the message that -x controls whether to do the write or skip it.

>How does hypermail keep track of messages it has already seen?

 It either uses the gdbm file or loks for existing html files in the archive.

>Why would you send hypermail messages it's already processed? To add to
>the archive I would think that you would just pipe the new message to
>hypermail as each one comes in.

 Updating the archive once a day can be a lot less cpu intensive than updating it for every message.
 Seperating the hypermail process from the mail delivery process may also improve error handling.

>Another question. Say I've got an existing archive and some old message
>needs to be removed or modified. What is the procedure?

 See the delete_msgnum option.

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the