Re: [hypermail] file numbering started anew

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:20:23 -0800 (PST)

 towb_at_celvina.de (Tobias Weber) writes:
>But now the mbox is so big that it takes minutes to parse everything and add
>new messages to the archive.
>
>So I cropped the first few MB off the file and ran hypermail again. It
>should not have done anything. What it did was write all messages still in

 Hypermail was never designed to handle this kind of usage, and I'm not sure how hard it would be to handle it well. If you change the mbox in any way other than appending to it, you need to rebuild the archive from scratch.
 You should have gotten this warning:
  fprintf(stderr, "Warning: first message in mailbox does not " "match first message in archive\n" "or obsolete gdbm file present.\n");  Maybe we should change that to an error if it isn't easy to improve hypermail to handle mbox changes?

 There is a delete_older option that might have done what you wanted, but I haven't checked how it affects hypermail's execution time - it was intended mainly to reduce the size of index html files.

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the