Re: [hypermail]

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

 ali.uezguemuer_at_gmx.de (ali.uezguemuer_at_gmx.de) writes:
>Hello everybody!
> I would like to use Hypermail to archive eMails in a SQL database.
>
> The reason for this is, that I need to be able to do statistics on the
>email traffic. Of special interest is the time between the first email of a
>thread and the first reply to it. As I am familiar with SQL databases I thought
>it'd be easy for me if the emails were in a SQL database.
>
> Is there any way that I can make Hypermail store the data in my RDBMS?

 It's probably not a good idea to try and do that from the Hypermail program itself. You will probably want to write something seperate that reads the archive that Hypermail produces and uses that info to generate the SQL database.
 You could parse the individual html files, and get the header info from a set of comments starting with one of this format: <!-- received="Mon Jun 4 15:16:41 2001" -->  Or you could read the gdbm file that Hypermail produces if the gdbm option is enabled (filename .hm2index). See the loadoldheadersfromGDBMindex function in parse.c for an example of how to do that.

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the