Re: [hypermail] dir option weirdness

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:47:03 -0700 (PDT)

 misiek_at_pld.ORG.PL (Arkadiusz Miskiewicz) writes:
> For example, if you wished to have Hypermail archive files by year
> and month, you might use
>
> dir = /lists/somelist/%y/%M
>
>,,When a message was received'' - well right now that isn't the case.
>It should be rather ,,When a message was feeded to hypermail'' - at least for
>me hypermail doesn't use received field from mbox nor date field and
>just checks current system date which is bad because it seems that I
>can't create web archive using quite old mbox archive.

 Now that I've looked at what it takes to change this to use the date the message was received, I see that it is a bit more awkward than I would like to make the directory change between messages in an mbox. The dir option was really designed to set the directory once at startup.  The folder_by_date option appears to accomplish most of what anyone would want from having a date in the dir option. Is there a good reason why I shouldn't just leave the code the way it is and change the documentation to suggest using the folder_by_date option for this purpose?

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the