Re: [hypermail] dir option weirdness

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 13:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

 misiek_at_pld.ORG.PL (Arkadiusz Miskiewicz) writes:
> For example, if you wished to have Hypermail archive files by year
> and month, you might use
>
> dir = /lists/somelist/%y/%M
>
> When a message was received it would be put into a directory
> /lists/somelist/1998/Jun (if the message arrived in June of 1998).
> If the message arrives and there is no storage directory, Hypermail
> will automatically create it and store the message in the new direc-
> tory.
>

>,,When a message was received'' - well right now that isn't the case.
>It should be rather ,,When a message was feeded to hypermail'' - at least for
>me hypermail doesn't use received field from mbox nor date field and
>just checks current system date which is bad because it seems that I
>can't create web archive using quite old mbox archive.

 This seems strange. Does anyone know why it is using the system date? The code that does this (in the dirpath function) is clearly designed to do that, but I can't think of a good reason for it. If I don't hear any objections within the next few days, I will change the code to use the received date.

 Note that there is a newer option called folder_by_date which uses the received date and produces results which are better for many purposes (for example, it creates links between the directories).

Peter McCluskey          | "To announce that there must be no criticism of
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | the President, or that we are to stand by the