Re: [hypermail] anchors don't have leading zero

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:28:56 -0800 (PST)

 jose.kahan_at_w3.org (Jose Kahan) writes:
>Hi,
>
>This patch removed the call to the hashed msgid num. The patch
>should have been applied to message_name().

 Why? It looks to me like the patch I applied fixes behavior that, even when using hashed filenames, was broken and now works. The msgnum was not being used as a filename, although it was used in a similar way.

>If using the hashed msgid num is something you don't want, let's remove
>it completely!

 The hashed filenames don't appear to do anything usefull, so removing them sounds like a good idea.
 As long as each message has a unique msgnum, that number works well for identifying messages. The patch I applied is only a problem for the goal of being able to distinguish messages that have the same msgnum. But that goal appears harder than insuring that a msgnum uniquely identifies a message.
 The message_name function for controlling filenames is probably better than what we had before (it should allow us to control the number of leading zeroes in filenames), so I'm glad you implemented that.

Peter McCluskey          |
http://www.rahul.net/pcm |