[hypermail] Re: license in archive/

From: Bernhard Reiter <bernhard_at_intevation.de_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:03:54 +0200

Kent,

please take my apologies if my emails sounded harsh. It was unintentional. I might have been a bit too brief. Let me explain:

My primary goals was to get the ffii archives working again after a harddisk crash which unfortunately lost some of the installation. Thus I would have had to customise msg2archive anyway. Doing this I've stumbled across the license problem and reported it briefly to bring it to attention. It looked like an oversight so I did not explain the licensing details because I think that hypermail developers like you will take care of it once the issue is raised.

It would be very nice if you changed the license of this code to be Free Software compatible. If you do not favour the GNU GPL there are many other options, like the GNU LGPL or X11 style licenses having the same effect.

I guess that many distributions and sites did package and use archive/ in mistake as they probably did not notice that the license actually forbits this.

I wrote the (partly) replacement to get the ffii archive working again it also allowed me to fix a couple of bugs and later integrate it with other python code. Note that the ffii is a non-profit organisation, we just prefer to defend our Freedom in supporting Free Software.

Send me personal email for questions or remarks, if you like.

        Bernhard

--
Professional Service for Free Software                 (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                       (freegis.org)