Re: [hypermail] make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

From: Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen <crispen_at_hiwaay.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 03:05:31 -0500 (CDT)

The kindly Rev. overheard simon hilton <simon.hilton_at_Sun.COM> saying on 23 May 2002:

> hi i tried installing hypermail and i get this message.
>
> this means there is something wrong with the software right?

I ran into something similar just last night compiling the version from CVS on Cygwin. But the message I got was "install up to date" and an immediate return. Taking the '_at_'s off the "cd" lines below "install:" confirmed that it did nothing. I did what the makefile should have done (did a cd to the three subdirectories and did "make install" in each of them) and all of them worked correctly.

Since it worked, sort of, and since I'm no makefile maven, I didn't investigate it further, but while I was fooling with it, I noticed that there were some extra spaces in the (generated) top level Makefile. Perhaps the problem lies there? Or perhaps I've got an "install" somewhere in my $PATH?

Anyhow, try what I did, and I suspect that will get you going.

--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
crispen at hiwaay dot net

If all is not lost, where is it?