[hypermail] Problem parsing messages

From: Jose Kahan <jose.kahan_at_w3.org_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:34:30 +0200

Hello hyperfolks,

I'm working again on hypermail for finishing my non sequential message numbering patch + adding WAI enhancements (proposed by a mini task force at W3C) + RDF output of the messages metadata as an option (for people who want to make better mail search things). I'll describe this changes in another message, so that you can decide which ones you want in (hopefully all of them :).

But but but, I'm writing to you because I found some problems when using the code fresh out from the CVS database. Starting from an empty archive, if I invoke hypermail as follows:

hypermail -m name_of_file_that_has_the_message -u -p -d emailtest

on the message that I've attached, I get the following messages:

Reading old headers...
Reading old headers...                                                         0 messages.                                                                     0 messages.
message 2 deleted under option deleted or delete_msgnum. msgid: 3CEDFBD9.3CB95900_at_w3.org

   2 messages.
Writing messages to "emailtest/"...
No mails to output!

This is disturbing. I'm only processing one message and hypermail reports that there are two messages. The only thing it created in the archive is the file 0001.html. This file says that the message was deleted. There is no index generated.

What bothers me the most is that hypermail reports reading two messages, where there is only one. I got the same 2 message output when running hypermail on a message coming from another list. Sometimes, I don't get this message. When I do get it, the archive skips by one.

Any idea on what may be wrong?

What happens if I do want to archive ALL messages, even if they are marked as pexired? Right now, hypermail will always expire them:

# Deleted and expired messages are removed from the index files # regardless of the delete_level selection.
---

Why isn't this a user configurable option? IMO, by default it shouldn't
delete things, IMO. What is the motivation for this choice?

I don't know why my message is marked as deleted as it doesn't have
an expire header either.

Hope you can give me some feebdack. I'm uneasy with this version now :(

Thanks,

-jose

  • text/plain attachment: apache