[hypermail] charset usage

From: Zvi Har'El <rl_at_math.technion.ac.il_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:14:38 +0200 (IST)

Hi all,

I have a multilingual mailing list. As such, there is a great demand for non-ascii text. We mostly use western-european languages, so the character set normally used in communication is ISO-8859-1. However, few of our correspondents are east-european, and use ISO-8859-2. Also, many prefer to encode their e-mail messages in UTF-8. Assuming (an assumption which is sometimes incorrect, unfortunately), that each mail message has a correct mime header describing its content type, is it possible to make hyper mail to generate the coresponding HTML, e.g., <META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> for UTF-8 encoded messages, etc.? For messages which do not identify their charset this may be not generated.

Thanks,

Zvi.

--
Dr. Zvi Har'El     mailto:rl_at_math.technion.ac.il     Department of Mathematics
tel:+972-54-227607                   Technion - Israel Institute of Technology