Re: [hypermail] How to break up an existing archive

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 16:45:22 -0800 (PST)

 pln_at_razzle.stanford.edu ("Patrick L. Nolan") writes:
>I am using hypermail to archive a set of mailing lists.
>One of the archives has grown so big that it's unwieldy.
>The users are complaining. They want it broken up into
>sections. I looked at the code for mbox2hypermail and
>msg2archive. They seem to require that the messages be
>in a standard mbox format. Unfortunately I didn't keep
>that kind of file. Am I stuck?

 There's a contrib/hypetombox.pl script that will convert an archive back to mbox format, although it doesn't do a perfect job (it doesn't handle attachments yet; I'll try to fix that any week now).  If that doesn't do a good enough job, then you might want to look at the monthly_index and thread_file_depth options, which provide smaller index files without breaking up the archive.  Note that the new folder_by_date and msgsperfolder options are probably better than the msg2archive approach for breaking up an archive, although they wouldn't eliminate the need for the mbox format.

Peter McCluskey | Free Dmitry Sklyarov! http://www.freesklyarov.org/ http://www.rahul.net/pcm | Received on Sat 03 Nov 2001 02:49:07 AM GMT