Re: [hypermail] Avoiding archiving viral content

From: Darryl Lee <lee_at_darryl.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:50:26 -0700

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 03:56:23PM -0700, Scott Rose wrote:
> I'd like to avoid archiving viruses as attachments. We run several
> hundred hypermail lists, and everytime there is another outbreak of
> virus, there is the need to go into the archives and crudely hack out
> the offending attachments. Since it's so painful to remove entire
> messages, my practice has been to just rm the attachments, but I still
> get complaints from users who don't realize that cleanup has been
> performed. Best would be to prevent archiving this stuff in the place of
> firstness.

[Various ideas about doing this within hypermail are bandied about.]

Yuck yuck yuck!

Remember one of the key building blocks of *nix - pipes.

Just pipe every mail through a command-line virus checker. Here's a list, courtesy of those folks at the horribly named AMaVis (A Mail Virus Scanner):

http://www.amavis.org/amavis.html#scanners

--
Darryl Lee <lee_at_darryl.com> | Bore yourself silly: <http://www.darryl.com>