Re: [hypermail] need help -- hypermail error

From: Scott Stark <sstark_at_informix.com_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 14:28:44 -0700

Rev. Bob 'Bob' Crispen wrote, in response to my query:
> > When I run Hypermail from the command line on an mbox file called
> > mbox.2001, I get the following error:
>
> > hypermail: Couldn't create lock file "mbox.2001/.hypermail.lock".
>
> > What does this mean, and how can I correct it? Is that what's causing the
> > error?
>
>Two possibilities: mbox.2001/.hypermail.lock already exists, but with
>a different owner, or the username running hypermail doesn't have
>write permissions to the mbox.2001 directory.

That was it: the .lock file didn't have proper write permissions for some reason. Although the file was really "archive/.hypermail.lock" and not "mbox.2001/.hypermail.lock", so apparently HM gave an incorrect error message. Fortunately I was able to find the file.

thanks for your help Bob!

Scott Received on Wed 02 May 2001 11:32:54 PM GMT