Re: [hypermail] Monthly archiving of incoming mails

From: Peter C. McCluskey <pcm_at_rahul.net_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:01:08 -0800 (PST)

 jose.kahan_at_w3.org (jose.kahan_at_w3.org) writes:
>I use smartlist (which is basically a big procmail recipe) together
>with some perl scripts to do that. It could be done thru procmail too.
>
>I had promised to donate my scripts to the project, but I wanted to clean
>them first. However, since I started this annotation project, I haven't
>had as much free time as before :-/
>
>I could donate them as is, if someone would like to clean them. The only
>problem is that it's a perl script and it was the first script I ever wrote!
>Perl is so powerful that it works ok and it's what we use today at W3C's
>on-line archives [1]. But it does need some cleaning to make it generic
>to other directory hierarchies than ours.

 I've glanced at your scripts, and they look more readable than I expected a first Perl script to be.
 We definitely need a good way of splitting archives into multiple directories. I will try to evaluate the alternatives and take charge of cleaning up an existing approach or implementing a new one - I suspect I will start work on that in mid-March.
 I suspect that a solution that builds on SmartList isn't going to be quite as easy to install as an ideal solution would be.

Peter McCluskey          | Fed up with democracy's problems? Examine Futarchy:
http://www.rahul.net/pcm | http://hanson.gmu.edu/futarchy.pdf or .ps