Re: [hypermail] Monthly archiving of incoming mails

From: <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:06:13 +0100 (MET)

I use smartlist (which is basically a big procmail recipe) together with some perl scripts to do that. It could be done thru procmail too.

I had promised to donate my scripts to the project, but I wanted to clean them first. However, since I started this annotation project, I haven't had as much free time as before :-/

I could donate them as is, if someone would like to clean them. The only problem is that it's a perl script and it was the first script I ever wrote! Perl is so powerful that it works ok and it's what we use today at W3C's on-line archives [1]. But it does need some cleaning to make it generic to other directory hierarchies than ours.

In our previous episode, Daniel Stenberg said:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Henry Potter wrote:
> I used to do it with procmail. I had procmail use a special lock file for
> that particular archive and thus it would only invoke the archiving script
> sequentially and the script could then upload/move whatever without any fear
> of simultaneous accesses.

[1] Received on Fri 16 Feb 2001 08:10:09 PM GMT