Re: [hypermail] cleaning up old hypermail messages

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:55:59 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Gary Sitzmann wrote:

> I've been providing hypermail for years now for internal use within my
> organization and have run into a situation that I don't know how to deal
> with. I used to recommend keeping a large email box and generating
> hypermail each time and it was relatively easy to clean up using your
> favorite mailer and regenerating the box.

That's not a bad idea...

> But now most of us are running hypermail automatically via adding a line
> to our alias as documented in
> http://www.landfield.com/hypermail/source/docs/hypermail.html#6 .

I'd say that most problematic with using that approach is that the archive just grows and grows.

> I'm not sure how to clean up old email with the update, so suggestions
> are welcome.

My personal approach is to use such an alias, but to keep all the mails in a single file anyway and generate the HTML archive from that single file. The name of the file (and directory to create the HTML files in) is based on the current year+month so that it'll automatically move on each month and thus let me remove months I deem to old to keep.

> The simple approach of removing old or selective messages started the
> numbering over again at 0000.html when the next message was sent and
> ignored the other messages.

Yes, simply removing one file will only confuse hypermail.

> Is there a way to regenerate the archive when using -u option for
> creating it?

The best idea I can come up with right now is to use the 'contrib/hypetombox.pl' program to remake an mbox from the archive, fiddle with the mbox and then regenerate the HTML files with hypermail.

I don't know in what state hypetombox.pl is currently though.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77