Hypermail MIME handling (fwd)

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.nu_at_hypermail-project.org>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:28:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi

This is just a bug report I recieved. I did reply to him and asked for an actual mail that shows this problem, as it would be a lot easier to understand and to correct, although I haven't heard from him since.

Anyone else recognize this problem?

--

   Daniel Stenberg - http://www.contactor.se/~dast - +46-705-44 31 77    ech`echo xiun|tr nu oc|sed 'sx\([sx]\)\([xoi]\)xo un\2\1 is xg'`ol

I am a new user of hypermail, I am looking for an e-mail to web converter.

I have tried using the latest beta version and I have a problem with MIME attachments, specifically Base64 encoded ones.

By taking apart the source code I have convinced myself that the base64Decode() function does work as expected. The problem seems to be that it is being called a line at a time from parse.c.

Unfortunately the mailer that we use at work puts 70 Base64 encoded characters on a line which comes out at 52.5 real characters. This means that I lose 1.5 characters per line. Checking the RFC it seems to me that the mailer is OK to do this, the whole of the Base64 encoded block should be decoded at once (I think).

The code in parse.c looks too complex for me to try fixing it. I don't know if you are aware of this problem?

--

Andrew.

Andrew M. Bishop
                                      http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/